Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Squats on a Tuesday Hmmmm.

Okay due to work things some of my training days are going to be a bit screwed up this week. Please bear with me. On to a new cycle which means that i am changing everything I do, So something different to look at and read about. Because the Canterbury Champs have been brought forward I am getting into my gear a bit early than I would have. I have added in a new exercise that I am going to trial for a while to see if it helps or not.

Squats are being done with a normal bar with 50kg of chain added this week. My goal for this week was to do 240kg + 50kg of chain for 3 reps/set. Suit on, Straps down with knee wraps on loose compare to how I will have them by comp time.

Set 1 240kg + 50kg of Chain 3 reps.
240kg + 50kg of Chain Set 1
Weight felt pretty good as I picked it up. Hit the rack on the step out which put me off a bit. Still need to work on the step put count. Real bad on all three sets. Reps are pretty good with a bit more speed than I thought I would have. Depth seemed pretty close although I could be a bit lower. Not to bad for not having my suit on for 8-9 weeks. Didn't throw me around as much as I thought it would.

Set 2 240kg + 50kg of Chain. 3 reps.
240kg + 50kg of Chain Set 2
Again hit the rack on the way out although I managed to get my feet out a bit wider. Knees came way to far forward on all the reps and while I got the reps done I was not to happy with this set. For all the  problems the reps were pretty good speed wise. As above Step out was crap.

Set 3 240kg + 50kg of Chain. 3 reps.
240kg +50kg of Chain Set 3
Again hit the rack on the way out (now you can see why I have racks in at competition time). Set up was a bit better and my feet were out probably the widest on this set. Knees stayed a bit more upright on this one however still came forward a bit to much. Might need to turn my feet a bit more. 3 good solid reps with a bit of speed on the first one.

Overall I am pretty happy with how it went today with it being the first day in a suit since the Commonwealths and that much actually on the bar. Speed was okay and the weight felt good. However,
Things I can work on.

  • Not hitting the rack
  • Counting my steps out 
  • Getting my feet wider due to the count
  • A bit more depth
  • Sitting back a bit more
and knees over my toes.

Safety Pin Squats 320kg x 5reps
Not Shown
I have worked out that when I am standing up at the start of the squat I am level with the 23rd hole in the rack and at the bottom as I go to stand up I am at the 12th hole. What I want to try is to overload the body with a big weight and slowly work my way down and back up. So today I was on the 19th pin hole and I stepped out with the 320kg sank down in a squatting fashion to the pins the drove back up. Everything else is the same as a normal squat. Got 5 reps.

Zercher Squats 3 x 3 @ 105kg
Not Shown
Gone back to that number as it allows for some reps but you don't run out of breath. Good deep squats and power back up. Getting my feet out wider for this one as well. However not to worried about that one on this exercise.

Machine rows 3 x 6 @ 80/100kg
Not Shown
First set was a sighter as I didn't know how much weight I would need. The next 2 sets were at about the right weight and got a good feel out of it.

T/bar rows 3 x 8 @ 60kg
Not Shown
About the right weight for this week. Clean form and plenty of power. They have raised the front of the machine and now you don't feel like you are going to fall off the machine. GOOD MOVE.

Seated Safety Bar Good Mornings 3 x 10 @ 45kg
Not Shown
Trying something new here. Box was probably a bit low but was still able to keep a straight back and use my erectors. As it is a new exercise I thought I would not push it to far today. Next week I will find a bench to work off and see the difference.

Reverse Hypers 3 x 10 @ 70kg
Not Shown
I love this exercise as I find it stretch's my back out after the beating from the squats.It also seems to work my glute area as well. Great exercise, If you have access to one, USE IT.

Overall a reasonable workout with room for improvement around the squat area. Speed is good, However as listed above there is a few things to work on. Can't be perfect on the first day so can't be to worried about things.

No comments:

Post a Comment