Sunday, January 26, 2014

Strongman/GPP for Week 3

Getting there slowly, On to Saturday and Strongman/GPP work. This has been going pretty good over this cycle. First week was tough but hey I got through it. Next week was better and I had a lot of power. Same thing with this in that I would do lots of it at the start of last year and then tapered off over the second half of the year. Love doing this stuff even though it can be hard at times. I think not having the ability to do it indoors during the winter didn't help. Trying to set it up that I can this year. I use this sort of training to help with my overall fitness and provide strength and power from a different position. I did 5 sets of everything today.

Hammer Hits 5 sets of 10 reps 6lb Hammer.
Hammer Hits
Felt a lot better doing this today. I was also trying to add in as much power and drive to each hit. Still need to get a heavier hammer though.

Tyre Flips 5 sets of 5 reps.
Tyre Flips
Not quite as much power and speed today as I had last week. Not sure why, however it could have been something to do with the extra weight on speed day. The tyre wasn't heavy, it just didn't have the same ping. Still got it done.

Log Press 5 sets of 5 reps
Log Press
Easy. really need to think about a heavier log. Speed on the exercise was good. However if I get to take everything into where I train I could use their steel log which is 70kg.

Tyre Pulls 5 x 1 25mtr pull.
Tyre Pulls
These are a bit like the tyre flips in that it did not quite have the same ping as last weekend. Got it all done but a bit tougher than I thought. Still i could feel my back by the time I was finished.

Tyre Drags 5 x 1 down the drive and back 80mtrs.
Tyre Drags from my point of view.
Good solid steps today and was able to keep up my pace there and back. Could feel all of the posterior chain working by the time I got back

Overall I am happy with how this went over the cycle. Can feel that I have better from a GPP standpoint. As it is a new cycle some of the exercises will change to keep my mind interested and to challenge me with new exercises. I WILL be pulling out the MONGREL from next week on and hope to keep it there unless I have to go inside.



No comments:

Post a Comment