Saturday, January 11, 2014

Strongman/GPP and Yesterday

Two days in one go here. The speed day yesterday was/is not much to write about as the weights were so light. However it was a good day to practice a bit of technique and to think about a couple of things as to how I want to do some of it this year. To that end a couple changes to the squats are a coming and also for the deadlifts as well. A good day from that perspective. No video as I didn't want to look that ridiculous, cue smart arse comments. All sets are done on a 90 second count from my phone.

Today I got the chance to do some Strongman/GPP training. WOW am I really that slow/weak or any other word that could be use. Just an easy day today with only 3 sets per exercise. Not a lot of power in the hammer hits and talk about being slow with tyre flips ( and I want to be able to start using the MONGREL full time in 3 weeks) although on the video it doesn't look that bad. Need to get my butt down a bit lower though. Log press wasn't to bad. Tyre pulls, Hmmmmmmm This is the hardest they have been in a real long time and I could feel my back by the end of the third one. Tyre drags, could I feel this one or what. the trip down the drive ain't to bad however on the return I could really feel everything working, Butt, Hams, Calves, Lungs (trying to suck in enough air) and my mind willing me on to the end. Still this is only the first week so can't expect to be in peak condition. Next week it will be 4 sets of everything so that should be fun.

Friday (Speed Day) Haha Refer above re this week.
Safety Bar Box Squats @ 50%  of top weight on Monday ( 3 Mats)
10 x 2 @ 70kg
A: the mats will come down over the next few weeks and
B: the %age will go up over the cycle.

Benchpress @ 50% of top weight on Tuesday
10 x 2 @ 50kg

Speed Deadlifts @ 50% of top weight on Wednesday (4 Mats)
10 x 1 @ 70kg.

Saturday: Strongman/GPP work.
Hammer hits
3 x 10 with a 6 pound sledgehammer.

Tyre flips (Baby Tyre, Weighs about 170kg)
3 x 5

Log press (log weighs probably 55kg now)
3 x 5

Tyre pulls: the rope weighs 25kg and is 25mtrs long and the tyre is 55kg. As you pull the tyre in you end up with less Rope weight and in theory it should be lighter however you are now starting to get tried so the perceived weight stays probably the same.
3 x 1

Tyre drags: The drive is about 40mtrs long so the whole journey is about 80mtrs with the same tyre being used as in the tyre pulls so it weighs 55kg.
3 x 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment