Saturday, February 1, 2014

The Blue Screen of Death and an Update

As you can probably work out we have had the blue screen of death happen to our computer and therefore it has been a little hard to do much on this front. However have got into the gym and done some work. Days are a little out as well as I have been doing stocktake at work on a couple of days (Monday and Wednesday). A couple of late night finishes. Read midnightish.
Anyway got in to do some benching on Thursday and this was the first time I have put the shirt on since the Commonwealths. Back then I was about 134 now I am somewhere around that 138 mark so the shirt was feeling a bit tighter than the last time I used it. Wasn't sure how things were going to go so it was a bit of a lets see night. Wow how things have changed. Down to a 3" board just to check and I had plenty of control and a lot of power and speed on the press. Man it felt good to have that much weight and a working shirt.

Benchpress 240 x 3 off 3" Board Set 1
240kg x 3 reps off 3" Board Set 1
The set up was good just needed to talk the liftoff out a bit. Found the board real well and had plenty of power on the drive. Even getting a strong lockout. Was a little surprised at how easy it felt and I felt that way though all 3 reps.

Benchpress 240 x 3 off 2" Board Set 2
240kg x 3 reps off 2" Board Set 2
Again another good set up and liftoff but this time down to a 2" board as the first set went so well. Felt strong on the first rep but then started wave around on the second and third reps a little. Still getting pretty good drive off the board and a reasonable lockout. Everything else felt good and I didn't think I was going to miss any of the reps.

Benchpress 240 x 2 off 2" Board Set 3
240kg x 2 reps off 2" Board Set 3
Good set up and liftoff. First and second reps felt good and strong. Went for a third and got stuck about 1/2 way up on it for some reason. Press off my chest and lockout were pretty good but both need a lot of work to make sure.

THINGS TO WORK ON.

  • Probably a stronger setup before I start the rep
  • More power off the board (can never be happy with that part)
  • More speed though the whole rep
  • Stronger lockouts. 
Overall I was happy with how things went. Wasn't to sure what was going to happen so was pleasantly surprised at how well things went. Will stay with 2" board next week but increase the weight. Gives me the confidence that I can go back into the big weights again and get them. 

As I have said new cycle so new exercises,
Decline Benchpress 3 x 6 @ 100kg 
Have not done these for a very long time, However it is now time to put them back in. Using them in the same way as the inclines from the last cycle. As you can see the bench makes for plenty of confidence for when you want to lift some big weight. It moves under you quite a bit so makes for some fun. 

Close Grip Floor Press 4 x 6 @ 120kg
Reasonably happy with these however could have been stronger and had a bit more power off the floor. Probably could have tucked my elbows a bit more. Will need to keep that in mind for next week.

Tricep Pressdowns 3 x 8 @ 48kg
Used a different machine to do these this time and because of only 2 pulley wheels the tension feels like there is a lot more weight on the bar. Trying to keep my elbows in tight and press though my triceps. Good strat to the cycle.

BTN Dumbbel Tricep Ext 3 x 10 @ 12.5kg
Nice little finisher for triceps. Haven't done these for a long time so just getting back into them. Need to keep my arm from swinging around and the extend with my triceps not drop the weight or throw the weight up on each rep. A work in progress.

Band Obliques 3 x 10 reps Blue Bands
Just keeping these in however this time using a different way of getting them done. Next week either a step out or a bigger band. 

Overall a good workout all things considered (work, different day and lack of sleep) pretty happy with ho the shirt and my benching went so can take that into next week.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment