Saturday, February 8, 2014

Benchpress Day

On to benchpress today. Last week went well so was hoping today would also be a good day. Again being week 2 down to 2 reps/set still off the 2" board. Set up and speed off the board with a strong lockout is what I am looking for today. Have been working hard on pushing right though the ep on speed day so also hoping some of that is starting to pay off.

Set 1 250kg x 2 reps off 2"board.
250kg x 2 reps off 2" Board
A good strong set up at the start with a good handout. Weight felt good in my hands however a bit far back towards the head so had to make the adjustment. 2 cleans touch's on the board and some good speed to the top. Strong lockout. Reps felt real good and was quite happy with how this went.

Set 2 250kg x 2 reps off 2" board
250kg x 2 reps off 2"board Set 2
This set was real good and it started with a great set up and handout from the spotter (Andrew), He was able to help me get the bar a lot further down my body. This helps getting the weight to touch. I don't like to "blow my own trumpet" however even I have to admit the first rep is pretty quick and it was a good lockout. The second isn't quite the same but I was able to catch the wave in the middle and still lock it out. This is how every set/rep should be however Alas.

Set 3 250kg x 2 reps off 2" Board
250kg x 2 reps off 2" Board Set 3
Good set up and was feeling pretty good going into this set. Got the first one real well however on the way down on the second I pulled my head up which made the weight tip to the right. Still had to have a go at pressing it. Just stalled half way up. Will have to have a think about the third set as this also happen last week. Is it a start of a trend or just bad luck. Need to start getting that last one.

Overall a good bench workout. with plenty of speed on all the good reps as well as some good strong lockouts. Got to keep working on the lockouts and getting the bar down my body. Could always use more speed.

Move on to
Decline Benchpress
Decline Benchpress 120 x 6 reps
Still getting use to these. Felt a bit better this week. Feel out of energy a bit here after having a lot taken out of you from the big benching however have to get this stuff done so pay my dues. The fact that the bench itself moves around doesn't quite inspire confidence.

Close Grip Floor Press
Close Grip Floor Press 130 x 4 reps
Surprised a little here as I had such little power left that I had to back off a couple of reps/set. Set up and the first 2 reps are pretty good but the next 2 felt like another 100kg had been added to the bar. Not quite sure why. It could have the triceps taking a hit from the benching or to much weigh or not enough energy or a combination of all the above.

Tricep Pressdowns
Tricep pressdowns 54kg x 8 reps
Really starting to feel my triceps lack of power here. Just trying to get the job done as very little power left. This is the sort of thing that I have to do to get more power on my bench's. Got the reps done however only just.

BTN Dumbbell Extensions
BTN Dumbbell Ext 15 x 10 reps
Working hard on actually extending with the Triceps here and not just moving the arm. Done properly you don't need a lot of weight. By now my triceps are out of there, very little power or strength left in them at all.








 

No comments:

Post a Comment