Sunday, February 26, 2012

New Cycle

Well we got though another week of training just.

Monday which is Power squat day I did real well with the blue bands over the bar and then add the weight. We estimate the tension of the Blue bands at 80kg so you just keep adding weight from there. My goal was to have 325kg all up including the bar and bands and to do doubles. Had my suit on and since I only have about 7 weeks until the Otago's I put the straps up as I have not done this since last year's Nationals. Man did I get thrown around on a couple of the reps. Only managed to get singles done but as I get more time with the straps up that will turn into doubles. Don't know how deep I was but they were what I call "good solid reps" which means I wasn't going 1/2 way down but somewhere near the depth I need a competition. Speed on the way up was good and overall I am happy with how I am going.

Benchpress on Tuesday was a new exercise with having the No#1 Bands over the bar and having a all up tension of 40kg then load the weight on. Into my Titan Fury Shirt as well and was able to get 240kg to my chest with good control and good speed and a strong lockout at the top of the rep. 3 sets of singles today and I am pretty happy with how things are going. 240kg should be my starting weight at the Otago's.

Because life got in the way on Wednesday I did not get to do my Deads this week so not sure how I am going on this.

Friday was speed day with box squats with the No# 2 bands over the bar. The box was set at just below parallel and I was getting my feet out as far as I could. 10 x 2 reps with about 165kg of all up weight on the bar. Speed off the box was a bit better than it has been lately and as I squeeze my butt real tight and drive my knees out on the way up I could feel it by the end of these.

Speed press was also with the No# 2 bands over the bar and as a variation I used a blue band around my elbows to get the same sensation as using a SLINGSHOT or RAM. 10 sets of 3 reps with 137.5kg all up including the bands. Got timed on a few of the sets and was timing around 2.5 seconds for the 3 reps which is a bit slow but I have to start somewhere. Over time I can see this coming back to the 2 second mark that I aim for.

Speed deads this cycle are with the black bands over the 5th hole up on a power rack with the bands coming completely off by the time I get to my knees. If you are not ready to pull at this stage the weight is headed back to the ground real quick. I do my speed deads a little different from everybody else as I start at 55% of Wednesday's figure and then over 10 single reps work my way up to 100% increasing the weight by 5% each time. It seems to work for me. The first 5 reps are done in the Sumo style then I revert back to the style that I lift in in competition. Got everything done with the last rep being 280kg.  

Overall I think I had a good week but it could have been a bit better. I still have to look at it over the long term as the 2 major competition's for me this year are the New Zealand Nationals in early August and the Oceania Champs in early December.

No comments:

Post a Comment