Monday, March 10, 2014

Deload Cycle Week One

Today was the first day of my deload cycle into the Canterbury Powerlifting Champs and add to that, that I have the Canterbury Benchpress at the end of this week.

Man was today tough, not from a weight side but from the side of trying to get low enough with my squat suit on. The weight on the bar was only 275kg with 30kg of chain. I was using about 87.5% of my goal weight today and doing 3 sets of 1 rep. Next week that will change. As the chain comes off it makes it harder for me to get down and on the first set I was really struggling to get there. Speed on the way up is not a problem. The second and third sets were a lot better and I felt like I was low enough. Overall happy with how it went and looking forward to next week.

Went on to do 5 sets of front squats using the getstrength front squat harness. if you have never tried one of these before give it a go as it takes all the pressure off your shoulders and allows you to concentrate on using the right muscles and getting the long term benefits of front squats. 5 sets of 4 reps @ 120kg

Bentover rows (4 sets of 6 reps @ 100kg), Machine rows (3 sets of 8 reps @ 100kg)  and Dumbbell rows (3 sets of 10 reps @ 50kg)  were done for my back. Big heavy compound weight always feels better when I go back to them.

Reverse Hypers (why did I go away from them) for 3 sets of 8 Reps @ 80kg as a finisher for my lower back/glutes felt good and as I have said before I just love the way it stretch's my back after a workout.

Did a new exercise today called Shovel Lifts ( have a look for it on my youtube page). It is really good for your Ab's, Obliques and Lower Back. Something completely and a great way to get that area strengthen up.
Shovel Lift for 6 Reps

No comments:

Post a Comment