Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Been busy so a bit late

Well how did it go on Saturday at the Benchpress Competition. Not to bad. Didn't target this competition as such but had to do it to qualify for competitions later on in the year. My opener  (250kg) felt pretty good although it was a little slower than I would have liked but got 3 whites so wasn't to worried. For my second attempt I went for 260kg and this one felt real good. Came up pretty good and also got 3 white lights. Since I had 2 in the bag and it wasn't a targeted competition I thought "what the hell" and went for 272.5kg. Set up and handout felt good, good and solid to my chest but just not quite enough speed off my chest and missed it about 1/2 way up. Still pretty happy with the day 1st in my weight class, 1st overall, 145.7820 wilks points and a number of Canterbury and South Island records as well as 8th best all time in New Zealand in the IPF Federation. I would also like to say a big thank you to all those people that help me out on Saturday especially my wife Rene for helping me warm up then get me into a shirt and then become a referee as well. Also thanks to Elijah for the handouts.

Monday I am still deloading into the Canterbury Powerlifting Championships so go in and did some squats @ approx 75% of my Max Effort week. Real tough to get the weight down even with my straps down. 242.5kg + 20kg Chain. Speed on the way up was a little slower than what I would have liked. Ground out my 3 sets of 2 reps then moved onto my accessories with front squats, bentover rows, machine rows, dumbbell rows and reverse hypers and shovel lifts being done.

Tuesday was a tough day as I was still a little sore from the weekend however I still went for it. Got to take the good days with the bad. 270kg off a 3" board was okay however the sleeves weren't on right and it caught me with the press right to the top. 280kg off a 3 " board was a lot better but just needed help to finish off the top of the press. 300kg off a 3" board was okay but needed more power though the whole lift. Not to worried as I think a lot of it has to do with the after effect of the competition on the weekend. Next week should be a lot better. A few other exercises were done after the benching as well.

Today was a "what the........" day. My deadlifts felt heavy for some reason. Had to work hard to get any of them done. Got out what I had to do which was 3 set of 2 reps @ 232.5kg. What a grind. Think it was just one of those days. I also think I need to go back and have a think about my goals for deadlift this year and to get my head and drive back into this lift as well. I am wasting to many Deadlift trains on not getting that part right BEFORE I walk into the gym. After this I was able to get some shoulder work done


No comments:

Post a Comment