Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Ahhhh Silly season

Because of the silly season Monday's squat and back session did not quite go the way it should have. Got in a little later than I want to but hey. This is the second week of my 5th cycle so it means that Safety bar squats  are up. Today I change it a little bit by only having the No# 2 bands over the bar giving me 60kg of tension. Worked up to 180kg + 60kg of band tension on the bar for 2 reps before putting my squat suit on. Straps down at the moment but to protect my knees I am using my knee wraps. These went well. Good depth this week so happy to be able to get down. Then on to 200kg + 60kg of band tension on the bar for a couple of reps and again they felt good. Next up was 220kg + 60kg of band tension for another 2 reps. Good strong solid sets and reps so quite happy with these. Since I was feeling good I thought I would have a go at 250 on the bar + 60kg of band tension for a single. This would be a PB if I could get it. Unfortunately it did not happen. The weight felt light and the descent was nice and smooth but at the bottom there was nothing as I squeezed my glutes to try and come back up. Sat in the bottom position for about 3 - 5 seconds before I called my spotters in to help. I would far sooner go home knowing than not. This would have been a massive PB (about 25kg) so not to worried. I know I can do it now but I will just have to go and do some other strengthening work on other exercises for a few cycles before I have another go at that weight. I know it can be done. I know a few people will say "why are you happy with what happen you missed the weight". I do not fear failure as all it shows me is what I have to do to get stronger and to be able to lift more. Very few things in life come to you on your first go so I look at it that I have to get the misses out of the way in the gym and not on the competition stage. At the weights I lift most people have problems doing half of that weight so if they want to say something go for it. Never be afraid to miss or fail as all it is doing is showing you where your training is at, at this stage and what you have to do to get better.

I then only had time to get a few sets of bentover rows done before I ran out of time as I had a work chrissy function to go to. 3 sets of 120kg for 6 reps. Ahhhh begone silly season.

No comments:

Post a Comment