Sunday, May 20, 2018

The week that was Cycle 7 Week 1

Start of a new cycle with long term goals
Monday was for squats using the Safety Squat Bar (SSB), starting to get use to squatting again without the box, don't get me wrong box squatting is good for you overall but I find it best for speed work. I have found that without it on max effort day I am able to hit depth better and the speed of my reps goes up and is better. I box Squat for all my speed work though. Working on getting my feet out wider and pointing my toes a lot more as well. I will need to sit back way more, I am sitting down way to much
You can watch a video of this by following this link SSB Squat
Tuesday is for benchpress and I am only just getting into a well worn out bench shirt from another guy. Working to a long term plan here starting with a 3" board (not shown) to a 2" board and then down to a 1" board the up the weight and rinse and repeat. We have worked out the bottom of the shirt needs to be held in place then the presses will go a lot better. Wasn't happy with this week so I will have to repeat it next week. I am also lacking in a lot of transfer speed from where the shirt comes off and my triceps and shoulders need to kick in and also a lot of overall speed. The last one was okay but the other were hard work.
Here is a video of my last bench set Benchpress
Wednesday was deadlifts, I was in the power rack as this is just the easier way of setting up the bands that I was using plus I can still use the mats under the bar. Still having a few problems getting my butt to sit down just as I go to pull so I am doing to much stiff/crane lifting. Getting quicker at them but still not where I want to be. Had a go at 240 + 22.5 of band but wasn't there on this occasion which would have been a returning PB. However I am happy that I am willing to have a go at it.
You can see my 220+22.5 by checking out this link Deadlift
Friday was and has been for a long time speed day it is just I haven't been doing it lately and it shows. Box squats I was just slow, slow, slow and needed a 3rd mat this week (that will change) add to that I am sitting down to much and not back like I should be and my feet are nowhere near wide enough and I was slow off the box. I suppose it give me lots to work on.
Speed bench was the same thing as in being way to slow, need to work on where I am hitting as I come down and press a lot harder and faster. This was only 80kg in total and I know that I should be a lot quicker. Again something to work on.
Deadlifts I set up real different to anybody else, I am and have always found the lockout my weak point so to get around this I have adapted a exercise from Louie Simmons and Westside that works for me and that is to use bands (Generally no# 3 or 4 bands) to get the speed off the floor but by my knees they have come off and then it is my job to keep pulling as hard and fast as possible to the lockout point. If I am not ready the weight goes straight back to the floor. Over the long term it works for me. Right now I am not that quick and I really need to work on these things but it is a start.
Here is some speed videos
Box Squats
Speed bench
Speed Deads

Sunday I was able to get some stretching done as well which is something I should be doing a lot more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment